Tuesday 14 July 2015

Birthday Birding! - 13th July 2015

It's not every day you get to take your girlfriend birding on HER birthday! Well that's what I did!
Danni had a meeting in the uni first thing, so I wandered around the campus being gripped by the amazing habitats on offer and what a lovely campus it was. I started by yearticking Essex Skipper which was great along with seeing Cetti's Warblers and a nice Cheilosia illustrata. Nice views of Common Terns on the broad too.


We started the 'birding' day at Holt Country Park again and looked for the butterflies again. Also got nice views of three Adder in the car park which is great to see. As I write, it's the 4th anniversary of my bite! Sadly, we weren't able to find any Silver-washed Fritiallaries, but got nice views of a White Admiral, as well as several flying around the woodland.

We moved onto Danni's favourite place in the world after this - Cley. Having a wander between rain showers, we got nice fly over views of Ruff, Black-tailed Godwit, Knot, Turnstone and Sandwich Tern. I was able to test the capabilities of my new camera here and I must say, I'm so impressed! Danni was also understandably captivated by some Lapwing chicks


Heading back home we came across a stunning male Montague's Harrier which quartered distantly. Looking at my photos, we realised it was one of the very recently satellite tagged males, so I am very keen to watch the progress of this magnificent birds. A lovely way to end a really nice day.

Happy Birthday Danni! x

No comments: